sister ann jones (s. ann rosinda)
March 23, 1925 - October 13, 2010
On March 23, 1925, in Muskogee, Okla., Sister Ann Jones was born to Thomas and Bernice (Wagester) Jones. They named her Peggy Pauline. The family moved to Tulsa, where Peggy and her older sister attended Christ the King School. There Peggy came to love the Benedictine sisters. Later she attributed her religious vocation to a great extent to those teaching sisters.
When the family moved to Kansas City, Peggy attended St. Teresa's Academy and then the College of St. Teresa. During her college years, Peggy's life was graced with the friendship of Rosemary Flanigan. In the fall of 1947 these two friends entered the postulate. The following March, Peggy received the habit and the name S. Ann Rosinda. Having already completed her college education and being an excellent student, she was tapped to get a master's degree in education from St. Louis University. While studying, she taught full time in St. Louis schools: All Saints, St. Mary Magdalen and St. Gregory's.
In the fall of 1960 S. Ann began teaching at Fontbonne College in the education department. The girls loved and appreciated her because she was an enthusiastic and helpful teacher. They sought her out as a sympathetic listener and enjoyed her support at games, plays and recitals. While teaching at Fontbonne, S. Ann studied at Marquette in the summers under Bernard Cooke, receiving a master's degree in theology in 1966. Filled with her "Cooke-isms," S. Ann's theology classes were vibrant and alive.
After eight years at Fontbonne she became the director of the House of Prayer in Chicago. For the next few years, S. Ann served in this "spiritual ministry," either as director of the House of Prayer in Chicago or St. Louis or, in 1971, as a member of the newly formed Province Renewal Team. Thrilled to be living during the time of implementing Vatican Council II spirituality, she worked selflessly with other team members to help sisters embrace the changes, which Vatican II, especially Perfectae Caritatis, asked of us.
From 1974 - 1976, she "took root" at St. Mary Magdalen Parish in St. Louis as one of the earliest pastoral ministers. Her knowledge of scripture and her willingness to pray with the parishioners enabled the parish and its people to grow spiritually. She found warm welcome in their homes and hearts. Teachers in the school benefited from her guidance in planning religion programs and children's liturgies.
During the summer of 1976 she moved to Kansas City where she began another new ministry as pastoral care coordinator at St. Joseph Hospital. With her gentle, mild manner, S. Ann maintained a calm presence in the midst of a family's crisis. She offered her tears, her prayer, and great comfort to those in need; she likewise shared her joy at the news of a successful surgery or the birth of a child.
S. Ann was skilled at coordinating spiritual renewal programs for various groups around the country and generously gave of herself to retreatants. She endeared herself to many with her dry sense of humor, often times directed at herself. Prior to her retirement to Nazareth Living Center in 1998, she volunteered her time as chaplain at KU School of Nursing in Kansas City, Kan.
For her these past years have been difficult; she kept slipping away. From all who tended to her and especially from S. Rosemary, she knew much love and tenderness. Faithful always to God, she now is blessed to recognize fully God's tremendous love for her.
S. Joan Kaucher
S. Kathleen Karbowski
S. Rita Louise Huebner