STL250: CSJ Television Firsts

STL 250: CSJ Television Firsts

In the late 1940s, television not only made its way into the sisters’ St. Louis convent, but the sisters made their way on to St. Louis television!

KSD-TV was the first television station on air in St. Louis, launching in 1947 by The Pulitzer Company. With a rush of companies applying for a television license, the FCC had a huge backlog, leaving KSD-TV as the lone station for four years. (Learn more at the St. Louis Media History Foundation.)

1947: St. Edward's Convent Has Television Set

The Sisters of St. Edward’s School, St. Louis, consider that their convent is the first in the province to be supplied with a television set. Their generous pastor, Msgr. Jas. P. Murray, vicar general, surprised them with this gift early in the fall. When Archbishop Ritter administered Confirmation at St. Edward’s Oct. 5, he inspected the house and showed great interest in the television equipment. Mother M. Illuminata Haley, superior, invites the sisters to come to the convent to enjoy a program at their convenience. They will be wise to consult beforehand, she reminds, the listings of KSD-TV, St. Louis’ television station, so as to select their program.

Article from The Provincial News Letter Vol. 1 Saint Louis, Missouri, November, 1947 No. 2

1949: Sister Anne Catherine on KSD-TV in Interest of Symphony Concert

In the interest of the special concert featuring Giuseppe Di Stefano and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, to be sponsored by the Fontbonne College alumnae on Sunday, Nov. 6 at 3:30 p.m. in the Kiel auditorium, Sister Anne Catherine [McDonald], director of Public Relations at Fontbonne, appeared on station KSD-TV Tuesday, November 1 at 5 p.m.

Sister Anne Catherine thus became the first member of the St. Louis Province to appear on television.

An elaborate campaign, organized by the alumnae, is attending this special benefit concert featuring Di Stefano, a Metropolitan tenor, with the St. Louis Symphony. Proceeds will be used for Medaille Hall.

The Provincial News Letter November 1949

Posted April 15, 2014

As St. Louis turns 250 this year (learn more at STL250), the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet join the celebration by sharing bits of our own 175+ years of history in St. Louis, the city of our founding. Look for new posts on Fridays throughout 2014.

<< Back to News

Change Text Size   A|  A|  A