STL 250: St. Joseph's Academy Frontenac Campus Built 1953

As St. Louis turns 250 this year (learn more at STL250), the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet join the celebration by sharing bits of our own 175+ years of history in St. Louis, the city of our founding. Look for new posts every Friday throughout 2014.


 STL 250: St. Joseph's Academy

Sketch from the Provincial Newsletter, March 1953. The Frontenac campus, where the school still stands, opened in 1955.

The following text is from the Provincial Newsletter, March and October 1953: The new St. Joseph Academy buildings on Litzsinger and Lindbergh roads will be commenced next month. Final approbation of the project was granted by Reverend Mother Killian [Corbett], superior general, on March 27. Sheds preparatory to construction will be put up at once, and bids are being let out to sub-contractors.

On this campus of thirty-seven acres will be built four connecting structures – the high school, facing Lindbergh Boulevard; to the south  of it, also facing Lindbergh, the chapel; the south and west of that, the sisters’ residence. Connected at the northwest end of the high school and facing Litzsinger will be the gymnasium. The buildings will be of brick. The school will accommodate five hundred girls.

The architect is Maurice F. Carroll, brother-in-law of Sister Teresa Martin Crowe, and the contractor is Michael Lawlor, brother-in-law of Sister Francis Clare O’Brien.

According to the plans, the building groups will consist of four separate units connected by arcades – Chapel, school, convent, and gymnasium. Outdoor athletic facilities include four all-weather tennis courts; hockey, soccer, and softball fields; and an archery range. An open air theatre, built like an amphitheatre with terraced steps, will seat 800.

The buildings, designed by Carroll and Dean Architects and contracted to M.J. Lawlor Company, will cost approximately $3,000,000.


sja 250 stl cake

STL250 at SJA Today

As part of the “Cakeway to the West” art project to celebrate St. Louis’ 250th birthday, 250 four-feet tall fiberglass cakes have been decorated by local artists and placed in various locations throughout the city. St. Joe is one of the lucky locations! Their cake, decorated by alum Laura Francis Genovese ’93, is aptly entitled “Where’d you go to high school?”

Learn more about St. Joseph's Academy, sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet since 1840.

<< Back to News

Change Text Size   A|  A|  A