Hundred Years Celebration

By Sister Elizabeth Leiwe, CSJ

In June, Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in University City celebrated a Century of Education for its 100th anniversary.  The evening focused on the founding of Our Lady of Lourdes School.

In 1916, the parish was founded, and the school began in 1917 with two lay teachers. Two Sisters of St. Joseph came to the school in 1919. The sisters are no longer are in the school, but two Sisters of St. Joseph still live in the parish houses. A number of CSJs were in attendance.  These sisters include, Kathleen Regan, Rita Schmitz, Mary Carol Anth, Pat Flavin, Kathleen O’Malley, Jane Behlmann and Elizabeth Leiwe.  The sisters taught seven grades in a small improvised chapel.

The evening began with a special Mass and welcomed hundreds of former students to the celebration. Graduates from every class were especially invited. Following was an Open House of the school and parish buildings along with a dinner on the parish grounds. The Centennial committee gratefully acknowledged the service of The Sisters of St. Joseph and thanked them for their many years of devotion, inspiration and guidance to the students of the parish school.

The parish congregation recognizes its profound debt of gratitude  to the CSJs who expanded so much time, energy, effort and prayers for all of those one hundred years in forming the heritage of the parish. 

<< Back to News

Change Text Size   A|  A|  A